Friday, January 15, 2010

Character Design: Ty the tiger

A few posts ago, I showed the design process for the main character from a book I illustrated, Norman Phartephant. In this book, Norman meets a new friend, a tiger named Ty.
Unlike Norman, this character was not based on an already existing toy. It was my job to create Ty's look based on the description the author gave me. Ty also had to exist in Norman's world, so their style had to be similar.
Just as I did with the process in creating Norman, I started with a number of various designs. I tried to give a wide range of styles, to give the author different choices and combinations. I based the final design on her feedback, and we agreed on the color.

Norman Phartephant Volume One has one more character, whose design process I will show here soon.

No comments: