Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Down Syndrome Foundation of Florida: Ping Pong Pro-Am

Last night I volunteered at the Down Syndrome Foundation of Florida Ping Pong Pro-Am.My contribution was to draw caricatures of the guests, something I've done countless times; however, in this case I was to sell the guests the opportunity to have a caricature drawn of themselves with their favorite athlete in attendance. The athlete would then autograph the caricature for the guest.

I had paper pre-printed with the logos and info. The VIP guests were going to have their hands full at the event playing ping pong against tournament players and would not have time to sit for caricatures, so I drew them all in advance.

*quick iPhone photo*

I wasn't sure who would be the most requested athlete and I wanted the guests to have original art, so I HAND-COPIED numerous duplicates of each athlete's caricature before the event.

I had a great time, although I wasn't able to take pictures. The local Fox affiliate was there, so if they have any video I'll be sure to post it here.

I got to meet some of the athletes, mostly the Steelers players. Nice guys. I didn't have the heart to tell them I was a Packers fan though...


No comments: