Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Kenosha Cartooning Festival: Wrapup.

I just finished attending the first ever Kenosha Cartooning Festival in my home state of Wisconsin.


The festival started Wednesday. I opted out this day to meet a family with a thriving DS child. It turns out some things are more important than cartoons (I had no idea!). There were a few seminars that day, and I'm sorry I missed them, but my time was limited in Wisconsin and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thursday, however, I was able to attend the grand opening of the exhibit, One Fine Sunday in the Funny Pages.The exhibit featured original comic strip art from legendary funny strips like Family Circus, Broom Hilda, Garfield, Heathcliff, B.C., Funky Winkerbean, Ziggy, Nancy, Cathy, Popeye, Get Fuzzy, and many more. Also Argyle Sweater.Jett, Andi and original Family Circus art.Jett enjoying a slideshow of Tom Richmond's work.

Several of the artists were on hand to meet and greet attendees and do some signings. I got to meet Tom Bancroft and catch up with old buddy and hero Tom Richmond.



The next day I attended a seminar about Marketing Yourself as an Artist in the Digital age.


The panel included several artists including Tom and Tom.




Later that evening, I went to see Tom Richmond's presentation about cartooning for the troops chronicling his charitable work he did for the USO.Here's Tom flexing for the camera. Tom flexes a lot.



Tom's presentation was incredible, moving and funny; the perfect ending to a wonderful festival. It was great to meet some the faces behind the comic strips and get a peek into their creative process. Don't know if there will be another Kenosha Cartooning Festival, but if so, I will definitely be there!

No comments: