Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010. Good riddance

2010 is just about over, and I couldn't be happier. The long-standing tradition among illustrators is to depict the incoming new year as a baby, and the outgoing year as an emaciated, tired old man. Usually he looks elderly and weak, thin from carrying the weight of the year on his ancient shoulders. But that doesn't remotely describe 2010.
Not at all. 2010 was an insufferable jerk. An old bully. A relentless, cruel tyrant. For me, it was not a good year.
In 2010 I dealt with countless loss, setbacks and tragedies. Sue Gerich, my grandmother died. She was the last of my grandparents and matriarch of the family. I lost my dear friend Michele Nichols, a sweet and wonderful person I think about every day. Even the loss of someone who I never met, but who I had a connection with, Sarah Kochendorfer, affected me deeply.
My newborn son was diagnosed with Downs Syndrome and a few months later, endured open heart surgery. It was an incredibly emotional time to say the least. 
I had countless financial setbacks throughout the year, missed the ISCA convention, my truck broke down (still is), my computer broke down (still is), I had my wisdom teeth pulled resulting in missing work. I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to give up.
Okay, so 2010 wasn't a great year. But it wasn't all bad. Tomorrow I'll tell you why.


No comments: