Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Computer issues: Solved!

After months of massive issues with my computer, I finally had it fixed. It was running great, better than it has in years. All I did was unplug it and redirect the wires through my computer cabinet in an effort to tidy up the place. Upon finishing, I turned the computer on, but something was wrong. As I explained yesterday, the computer turned on fine, all of the indicator lights came on, and everything seemed to be running properly EXCEPT for the monitor. I unplugged it and plugged it in several times and even tried another monitor with no luck. After contacting my friend, he wanted me to make sure I was plugging the monitor into the bottom port, NOT the top one.
 I looked, and in fact I HAD plugged into the bottom port. The plug didn't fit in the top port. I could ONLY put it in the bottom port. Apparently, I had broken the computer in some other way. I made sure I was in fact plugging the monitor into the BOTTOM port....
 
 This one. The one I circled in red. This is the bottom port. The one directly below the port that the plug doesn't fit into. That's the one. Right?
So this morning I unplugged the computer and loaded it into the car. After work today I took it to my friend's house so he could check it out. He plugged his monitor into the computer and started it up. The monitor worked perfectly. I peeked around the back of the computer to see where the monitor was plugged in...
I can't believe it.
Embarrassed and humiliated, I thanked my friend and drove home. And as punishment for my bone-headedness regarding this issue, I've decided to share this sad story with you. Hope you enjoyed!

No comments: