Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Muppets World of Friendship: Sketch

I had a lot of different ideas for the Threadless Muppets Design Challenge. I really wanted an image that portrayed a large number of characters. Everyone has a favorite Muppet and would want them on their shirt, so I needed to represent as many Muppet characters as possible. I pictured a big bunch of Muppets squeezed together in a big ball, like a planet.

I thought of the statues I've seen of the mythological titan Atlas, who held up the world on his mighty shoulders. I wondered what it would be like if I drew Kermit holding up a big ball of Muppets like Atlas holding up the world. I started sketching madly.
I worked completely from memory. I wanted to keep with the "classic" Muppets from the Jim Henson era with the exception of Pepe. I knew there were certain characters I absolutely HAD to put in there because of their popularity and ability to be recognized. Next I put in characters that may not be known by name by the average person, but are still very distinctive as an important member of the Muppet troupe. Finally, I put in a few of my personal, yet more obscure favorites.
This is the rough sketch I did before I began to research and tighten the final pencil drawing. You can see the differences in the final piece, where I added more characters and where I made changes and revisions.
I'll be posting more of the design process as Muppets week continues.

If you haven't voted for my design yet, please go to the Threadless Muppets Design Challenge .
Remember, the ranking goes from 1-5, with 5 being the highest so be sure to give me a 5.

No comments: