Monday, December 06, 2010

So long wisdom teeth, you've served me well.


When I was younger, right around the age that all of my friends were getting their wisdom teeth pulled, I went to the dentist for a routine checkup, and asked him if I would need mine pulled as well. After a few x-rays he determined that because my wisdom teeth seemed to be coming in fine and that I have ample spaces between my existing teeth to make room for the incoming wisdom teeth. Therefore, the dentist explained, the decision to have my wisdom teeth pulled was purely my decision. Now when you ask a younger person if they would like their teeth pulled, it's likely the answer is going to be an emphatic "NO", which is exactly what my answer was.
 Now for almost two decades, my teeth have performed with great precision and accuracy. However, in the past year or so, I've been plagued with a series of crippling migraine headaches and a constant, sometimes excruciatingly painful aching in my back teeth. Well, I had my teeth examined and the consensus view is that my wisdom teeth are impacted, and all four have to come out.

Today is the big day, and although I will be happy to finally be rid of the offending nuisances, I'm not looking forward to the immediate after-effects. I hear there's pain involved, nothing a little medication won't solve, but I'll probably be eating soup and pudding for a week. My already gigantic Irish head is going to swell up even more and let's face it, I don't need any more wisdom removed from my head, I don't have much to begin with!

No comments: