Monday, August 22, 2011

Muppet Monday: Stepping Out.

Today's Muppet Monday piece is entitled "Stepping Out." This past weekend, Jim Henson was honored at the 2011 D23 Expo as a "Disney Legend." I thought I would create a picture depicting Jim and friend getting all dressed up and "stepping out" for a night on the town.
I'm experimenting with a different illustration style than I'm used to. This piece was executed entirely in watercolor. I'm not relying on those thick black lines that I'm used to. I like the look, it gives the artwork a softer, more subtle feel.

I've never caricatured Jim Henson before. I always considered him "sacred ground" and have been uncomfortable with the thought of defiling his memory with a goofy drawing of him. But over time I've realized that Jim was always poking gentle fun of himself and his creations and I think he'd find this picture to be funny. I'm working on another caricature of Jim that I'll debut on a future edition of Muppet Monday. Stay tuned!

No comments: