Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Forty.

It was on this day, September 27th, that I was born. That was forty years ago.

Forty.

The big 4-0.

According to many people, 40 is considered "over the hill", that one has reached the climax of one's lifetime. To others, that thinking is outdated, and 40 is the new 30 . I'm not sure what turning 40 means to me, but it's certainly a milestone.

I look around at other 40 year olds. Some have had immense success and amazing lives, they've gone everywhere and done every thing. Others have had it rough, real rough. Some haven't moved at all (I know a few that are still living with their parents). I think when you reach a milestone like turning 40, you tend to pause and reflect on what you've accomplished. Have you reached your goals? Was your time well spent?

In my life (so far), I've lived in several states, gone on a lot of great vacations, worked a lot of jobs both good and bad, lived in apartments, mobile homes, basements and houses, had lots of money and been completely broke, met a lot of amazing people, fell in love a lot, got my heart broken a lot, had three amazing kids, been married, been divorced, got married again, lost many people dear to me, sat around and did nothing, wasted way too much time, took risks, played it safe, did some things I'm very proud of, had tons of regrets.

Hopefully at forty, you've reached a point in your life where you have accumulated some degree of wisdom and experience, and can pass that on to the next generation. Over time, I've assembled a bunch of quotes and sayings that I feel are relevant to my life, maybe they can help you too (you listening, kids?):

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." Charles R. Swindoll

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

"I’ve never learned anything while I was talking." Larry King

"Our greatest glory is not IN NEVER falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

"Patience is also a form of action." Auguste Rodin

"The quality of one’s thoughts is only as good as the quality of one’s language." George Carlin

What is understood, need not be discussed.

There is nothing more expensive than regret.

"If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it." Lucille Ball

Adapt and overcome.

Someday someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else.

Anything is possible

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!" Benjamin Franklin

"Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." - Confucius

"Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play." - Heraclitus

I would also suggest to make plenty of mistakes and expect to FAIL a lot. Use your 20s to figure out WHO you are. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Stay away from people toxic to you. Take care of your mind, body and spirit. Don't smoke, it's stupid. Smile. Find pleasure and joy in everything. Work real hard, but treat yourself. Take the word "bored" out of your vocabulary, there's always something to do. Question things and be sure to sit quietly and think whenever possible. Listen to music. Engage your senses. Keep your mind open.

I've had a great life so far and have accomplished a lot. But I've got so much more that I want to do, and you can watch it all as it happens right here on this blog.

No comments: